Giorgio Trevisan

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Giorgio Trevisan

Post by philcom55 »

Giorgio Trevisan is an Italian artist who produced a number of strips for the British market. Following the examples of his excellent work for girls' titles posted by Matrix recently - particularly the full-colour adaptation of 'The Wizard of Oz' that appeared in Princess Tina - I thought people might be interested in seeing a page of his little-known version of 'Roy of the Rovers' from 1961:

Not only does this feature an almost invisible signature - it also contains a fairly outrageous Frank Bellamy swipe that stuck out like a sore thumb the first time I saw it. I wonder if anyone else can spot either of these...?

- Phil Rushton

matrix

Re: Giorgio Trevisan

Post by matrix »

Thanks for posting a topic for him Phil, hopefully we can see more of his work on here.

I have not seen that 'Roy of the rovers' artwork by him before, it's amazing the variety of strips these artists worked on. Did he by any chance do the cover Phil?

I can just see his signature hidden away under Ben Galloway, but as for the Frank Bellamy connection, no chance for me!

These scans are the first of 'The secret garden', a great elephant scene.
Attachments
Secret.garden.1.001.jpg
Secret.garden.2.jpg

chrisb

Post by chrisb »

Is the Bellamy swipe the newspaper seller?

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

philcom55 wrote:Not only does this feature an almost invisible signature - it also contains a fairly outrageous Frank Bellamy swipe that stuck out like a sore thumb the first time I saw it. I wonder if anyone else can spot either of these...?
- Phil Rushton
How'd I do Phil?

"Happy Warrior" Episode 22 courtesy of someone called Al, I believe, who originally posted this in his 'Comic page of the day' series - if I remember correctly!
HappyWarrior_023

Well spotted Sir.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Spot on, all three of you! (I thought if anybody was going to recognize the Bellamy swipe it'd be Norman). It's interesting to note how artists often start out by imitating others before they eventually develop a unique style of their own, and Giorgio is a perfect example of this. To my mind that Roy of the Rovers page is not only indebted to Frank Bellamy and Roy d'Ami (for whose studio he worked), but also to the great American artist Alex Toth - particulary in the third panel. This makes it all the more intriguing that, five years later, he was chosen to ink over Toth's pencils and then replace him altogether on the WW2 series 'Password to Freedom' for June & School Friend. Here's an example of one of the all-Trevisan episodes from the issue dated 9th July 1966:

- Phil Rushton

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

My education continues - thank you. I was so impressed with these posts on Trevisan that I did some searches for more and stumbled across his site:-
http://giorgiotrevisan.blogspot.co.uk/
And he did a couple of Spider stories.
Problem with discovering all this is that I now have to track down some of those comics mentioned on the site.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

thanks for that link Paw. It's a fascinating site, and not one I've seen before (hope it means he's still alive!).

I particularly like his fully painted work, much of which was produced for British and Dutch educational magazines from the late 1960s. Unfortunately a lot of this was unsigned, but one set that did carry his signature is this nicely atmospheric account of Ferdinand Magellan that appeared in Tell Me Why no.8:

= Phil Rushton

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

Re:"This makes it all the more intriguing that, five years later, he was chosen to ink over Toth's pencils and then replace him altogether on the WW2 series 'Password to Freedom' for June & School Friend - Phil Rushton":
if you go to http://www.libraryofamericancomics.com/ ... icle/2443/ and scroll down a little, you'll see several Toth panels from what I assume to be 'Password to Freedom'.
It's from a blog post from last November about the forthcoming book Genius Illustrated about Toth's later career (see http://www.libraryofamericancomics.com/ ... icle/2482/ for an update)

matrix

Post by matrix »

That 'Tell me why'' artwork of his is lovely work, (I read 'Tell me why' as a kid) any more samples Phil?

The 'Dog of Flanders' scans from 'Princess Tina' do not have a signature, but I am sure it's his work, anyone like to confirm that?
Attachments
Dog.1.jpg
Dog.2.jpg

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

davidandrewsimpson wrote:if you go to http://www.libraryofamericancomics.com/ ... icle/2443/ and scroll down a little, you'll see several Toth panels from what I assume to be 'Password to Freedom'.
Yep! That's the second page to Toth's opening installment of 'Password', and below that is a scene from 'Rally to Catherine!' (though, once again, I think A. N. Other artist had to take over in order to complete this story when Alex mysteriously downed tools after just eighteen pages!)

- Phil Rushton

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Here's another of Giorgio's stylish adaptations of classic works of literature - this time 'Gulliver's Travels' from a 1969 issue of IPC's Treasure.

- Phil Rushton